Defining Moments



To our family,

I wish to share a defining moment in time that had it not occurred, none of you would be here together as our family. It’s interesting how your mind knows what is going to be important in your life, so it safely tucks the memory away for later recollection. I can remember the exact time and place that I met the love of my life. It was in a BYU Social Dance Class on the second day of school my freshman year, when I stood back and watched for the circle to form so I could pick who I would stand by, and sure enough it was Jim! He had come only to check out from a class he had unknowingly signed up for. Needless to say, he changed his mind. Had I not been inspired to stand by him at that time in that class, we would never have met. He would have never returned to social dance class.


For some random reason, we decided to go to the Student Health Center and get our flu shots, Afterwards, he generously insisted on sharing his sack lunch from Deseret Towers, a tradition that repeated itself every Tuesday and Thursday. I went home and bragged to my roommates that I had met the cutest, funniest guy ever! Well, he keeps me laughing every day and I still think he is the handsomest man ever.

Three and half years later we were married in the Manti Temple, December 20, 1968. And so after more than half a century, I again give God thanks for His tender mercy of helping us find each other in a sea of 25,000 students.

As I got to know Jim, I discovered a man of depth, love, wisdom and spirituality that has continued to grow and mature through the years. I celebrate our marriage and family without fanfare and glitter, but with a deep and abiding sense of love and gratitude for our great marriage, all that Jim is, and for the wonderful family that has come from our eternal union. Being able to continue our eternal family with him is a great motivation for doing the best I can in this life. So, to the love of my life, I say, “I love you and I am truly blessed!” And to God I say, “Thank you!” I know this was a great blessing and a tender mercy from God. I hope to live worthy of this defining moment in time. God knows that I know He knows.

embrace the sacred moments!

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing that beautiful love story Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I think it's important that we all share moments like these. When times like this are so dark, we need light and we need to know that God is at the helm and his purposes will not be thwarted.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts